First: Trouble with a capital T.
Today I wanted to post about Christmas stockings that I’m making for the niece and nephew. However I sat down at my machine yesterday and started to sew the second together…
…when there was an almighty grinding and weird loud noise and the bobbin case was yanked out of place into crunchy bad-noise territory by rogue threads. It scared the crap out of me. I re-set everything up and tried again. Again my bobbin case flew out and everything got tangled up. Oh boy. Was I in for a long morning.
This went on. And on.
By the end of yesterday I’d taken everything out and cleaned it to within an inch of it’s life and this stopped happening. However today when I tried to finish off, I noticed that I was still having issues with the top thread being visible on the bottom side of the fabric.
Nothing I did helped. I cleaned everything (again), I changed needle and threads (multiple times) and went through every single number on the tension dial. But nothing happened. Even on the highest tension setting, you can still see my top thread on the bottom side. I don’t know what’s wrong and my manufacturer’s helpline is a bloody expensive number to call.
So…any ideas anyone?
In less sad news, I did get to try my hand at non-sewing creativity to cheer myself up about the thready problems. I was researching (on Pinterest, naturally) homemade Christmas decoration ideas (yes, it’s getting to that time!) and found these cute homemade snow-globes-out-of-jars.
They’re super easy to make and the tutorial is really helpful too, although maybe I should have listened carefully to how much glitter to put in the jars. I just went ooh glitter, I love glitter, put in ALL THE GLITTER.
So much so that my snow globes look like mini exploded glitter factories. I still like them though. The centre pieces are actually plastic cake-toppers I found in the baking aisle of a discount shop, they look really good!
Notes for Next Time
- Not as much glitter!
- Make sure your centre pieces are actually big enough to go into the jar and have the lid closed shut around them otherwise you glue them on and then find this out and have to pull them off and start again. (Not that I did that or anything…)
Hopefully I can figure out the problem and get back to sewing at some point this week, I feel like I’ve lost my favourite book or something to that ilk. Sad times.
At least I can give these cute things a shake to make me smile!